This post is pretty self-explanatory given the title, but I figured, hey, those of us in the US have a long weekend coming up, and I’m sure the rest of you will miss us horribly, so this will give you a fun thing to do online to pass the time. Also, these accounts are tied to organizations that do really great things, so supporting them in the online world seems like it would be a neat thing to do.
I’ve linked all of the accounts below, so all you have to do (assuming you’re signed in to twitter right now) is click and follow!
I hope you enjoy
1. @Kindcampaign – a movement and documentary intended to stop girls from bullying each other
2. @CharityWater – bringing clean water to people who need it all over the world
3. @ProjectLinus – making and donating blankets & afghans to children who are in need
4. @world-wildlife – the World Wildlife Fund – dedicated to creating harmony between people and animals
5. @StJude – pediatric center for research
6. @americancancer – Twitter account for the American Cancer Society
7. @foprr – Friends of Pine Ridge Reservation – they let us know what the residents of Pine Ridge Reservation need most
8. @UNICEF - Helping children all around the world
9. @unrefugeeagency – The organization behind the powerful Blue Key campaign for refugees worldwide
10. @habitat_org - Habitat for Humanity – building houses for the homeless
11. @skip1 – Twitter account for skip1.org. The idea – skip something yourself, give to someone else
12. @epicthanks – The charity fueled by gratitude
13. @fugeesfamily – Helping children refugees rebuild their lives in the US
14. @civilination – Combating cyber-bullying
15. @safetyweb – Helping protect children online
16. @TrevorProject – Preventing crisis and suicide amongst LGBQT youth
17. @800273talk – a suicide prevention hotline
18. @the_uso – support for all American troops
19. @makeawishintl – Twitter account for the international Make A Wish Foundation
20. @humanesociety – Account for the Humane Society of the US
21. @american_heart - Official account for the American Heart Association
22. @mssociety – Official account for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society
23. @gdsfoundation – The Global Down Syndrome Foundation – giving a voice to those with Down Syndrome
24. @specialolympics – The Special Olympics give those with physical problems a chance to compete and be free via sports
25. @foundanimalsorg – Twitter account that informs followers about pets who need forever homes, among other things
26. @adoptuskids – this organization strives to find homes for children, including teens, who need a home
27. @St0pChildAbuse – 5 cents is donated to Love our children USA for every follower. Spread the word!
28. @escapeabuse – offering hope and support to those in abusive relationships
29. @datesafeproject - enabling conversations about how to date safely
30. @womenslaw – This Twitter account offers channels to get legal information if you are in an abusive relationship
31. @evawintl - This organization is working to combat gender-based violence worldwide
32. @roomtoread – This organization is spreading education and literacy around the world with the hope it creates equality for all
33. @kickstarter – if you want to start your own funded social good project, talk to these folks!
34. @samasource – this organization is trying to match up women and refugees with digital jobs
35. @recoveryblog – Offering support to those in search of sobriety
36. @Toms – Official Twitter account for Toms Shoes and Eyewear
37. @komenforthecure – Official account for the Susan G. Komen Foundation
38. @SUTC – Stand Up To Cancer. Raising money for groundbreaking research
39. @amber_alert – get live Twitter updates of amber alerts. Maybe you can help find a missing child
40. @meals_on_wheels – See how you can help get food delivered to the sick and elderly
41. @foodforthepoor – this organization, per the name, is working to combat hunger worldwide
42. @mercycorps – striving to help those in the most dire of situations
43. @aidsvaccine – Tweets regarding the International Aids Vaccine Initiative
44. @CTRHIVLawPolicy – legal support for those suffering from HIV as well as their advocates
There are also some great individual accounts to follow that can direct you to social good efforts. Among those are:
45. Estrella Rosenberg - Founder of Big Love Little Hearts, Estrella also is in tune with every other effort to do social good
46. Molly Cantrell-Kraig – An amazing woman, founder of the Women With Drive Foundation
47. Geoff Livingston – Completely in touch with the Not-for-Profit world. I found out about Charity Water thanks to Geoff!
48. Danny Brown – Danny always seems to have a social good project he is working on or supporting.
49. Mark Horvath – Founder of InvisiblePeople.TV. Mark brings the homeless into your Twitter feed.
50. Chris Brogan – I learned about social media for social good because of this guy. He highlights a lot of great causes on a daily basis.
Who would you add to this list? I’d love to follow more accounts dedicated to social good!